After four days of working on getting my car fixed, there is finally light at the end of the tunnel. I have not gotten it into the shop yet. I still have to climb over the middle divider from the passenger door because neither door on the left side of my car can be opened. Both are bent and jammed.
But the gaggle of insurance agents squabbling over who pays for it all is beginning to sound like I might not have to shoulder the entire burden myself. There is a consensus that the accident was not my fault. (Probably due to the fact that the police officer making the accident report clearly stated it was the other goofball’s fault in his written report.) So, Geico, the perpetrator’s insurance, has generously agreed to pay 85 percent of the cost of repair and rental car. (85 percent??? Why not a hundred??? Apparently, because I couldn’t testify with 100 percent certainty with my hand on a Bible that I had my lights on at a quarter to noon in the rain, even though I am in the habit of having my lights turned on even if it is just cloudy and would’ve automatically turned them off when I got out of the car to prevent the warning dinger from dinging. That should cost me $300, right?) My insurance agent from Progressive is willing to argue all the way to arbitration that I deserve 100% coverage, especially since Geico is paying for it, and Uber also stands ready to be coerced to pay if need be because I was on my way to pick up a meal delivery at the time of the accident.
So, I am hopeful in a pessimistic sort of way that I am not going to be socked with another bill that is higher than my emergency fund (which I maintain on the orders of my bankruptcy lawyer).
But it is not only good news about car repair that I am finding questionable today. I have also made progress on a stubborn printer/scanner that has been failing to work properly since I bought it new. I discovered I needed to go online to download an HP printer driver, not once, but twice. Apparently, it had been rendered useless because just after I downloaded and made it work the day I bought the thing, HP decided to update that software with critical patches that I did not have. So, the second download allowed me to discover…
…That the scanner bed was still too small to scan the size of art needed to scan my graphic novel and get that usefully re-created through scans on the internet. You can see the cover is too large to scan the whole thing in one go. I am, however, tricksy enough to scan it in parts and paste the whole together with the paint and art editing tools I already have on the computer. I intend to start doing that to get Hidden Kingdom up and running on my Dungeons and Dragons Saturday posts.
Here’s an adjusted scan to increase my ability to copy and paste a whole together from parts…
It should be easy to quilt together the artwork over time and provide a view not grayed out by having to reproduce the black and white pen and ink art in shades of gray, the way I must if I try to do the thing photographically.
And I can definitely say that scanned art is better than photographed art.
I have included a couple more scans to prove the point.